Saturday 5 May 2018

My Flight report Thomas Cook Airlines flight MT1187 Malta - London Gatwick, UK 19th April 2018

Airline: Thomas Cook Airlines
Flight: MT1187
Type: Boeing 757-300
Registration: G-JMAA
Flight of origin: Malta
Destination: London Gatwick, UK
Terminal: South Terminal
Flight time: 3 hours & 30 minutes

In the past I had worst experience with Thomas Cook Airlines to the United States. This time the flight has got even worse.... But first lets start working our way to the top.

Because now we are in the Summer Season, Malta International Airport has gotten worse full of British Airliners coming to Malta I'll explain. Last year, Malta had experienced a nightmares of British Airliners including Ryanair  arriving Malta from Non-Schengen EU member United Kingdom. I remember when spotting, a lot of passengers from Thomson Airways, Thomas Cook Airlines, Ryanair, Jet 2 and EasyJet waited outside Non-Schengen building in the hot sun. At the monument it wasn't worse when June/July comes. Because Non-Schengen on departure side is small with limited gates, it would have been possible the flights to be delayed if the gate is full and delay on Maltese Immigration. If you have any plans come to Malta this Summer, I suggest to avoid Thursday because that's where the nightmare will begin.





The flight was a Boeing 757-300 my favorite Boeing aircraft of all time since I last was on-board a Boeing 757 in 2004.  The airline is Condor brand operating for Thomas Cook Airlines soon to join Condor fleet. When the flight was boarding we've came up with disasters.

  1. Error calculation on fuel & luggage
  2. Lost luggage 
  3. Passenger error 

Passenger error was a bad one because their are family of 4 with two children (one infant under 5) the boarding pass when I spoke to the passenger said his toddler was going to sit on his own not on the lap. He could not stop crying & screaming since boarding me & all other passengers got annoyed. One crew offer me to move but I refused because I paid good money for the flight & the seats I want. If I was chosen allocated seat I don't mind but the money I paid "No thank you" I'm use to children screaming because I'm an uncle of two nieces who are not behaving etc.


So we was on hold for an hour till the captain calculate the fuel, cargo and passengers then we be on our way back to London Gatwick, UK. With the error I don't blame Thomas Cook I blame Aviserve because they always made errors on their airlines in Malta in the past than Air Malta Ground have. It's a shame Air Malta is not part of other airliners only Air Baltic, TUI Airways, British Airways and Turkish Airlines I can think off.

We've departed Malta backtrack runway 31 immediate takeoff all I have to say is that the engines are classic! It's quieter than the Boeing 757-200 but it still has it's character during taxi and landing.


During crew service, I only had Thomas Cook's exclusive Haribo sweets, short bread and can of Stella. I diverse a beer in during lunch time after all the stress I had at the airport & boarding. I was thinking to buy food that's done by a British chef James Martin for £4 online I decided not too so I had food at the airport.


At Duty Free I bought myself a model of an Airbus A330-200 the price was originally £8.50 I think till I get a discount costing me £6 which is a bargain. When I asked for the model, it took the Purser five minutes to find the model I wanted that's not in their trolley so he have to look at the front galley to search for one. The passenger next to me with his infant wanted the Airbus A321 model unfortunately Thomas Cook only have A330-200.  Unfortunately because these 757's was transferred to Thomas Cook (UK) they don't have Condor models which is a shame if only the crew noticed they have a Boeing 757 model in stock.



One thing I forgot to mention in previous flights during the reports, some airlines all take credit & debit cards & accept contactless (Apart Air Malta that requires GBP, Euros or CHF in cash) be aware if you pay Euros to TUI, Flybe or Thomas Cook for example, the cabin crew will give you change in GBP depending on the exchange rate.

During the service on food & Duty Free, I did not see a smile on the cabin crew (they have while boarding) when disembarking sometimes they look the other way saying goodbye & talking to the other crew which is rude to the passengers.

When looking at the cabin, it looks very well done with modern look around the overhead compartment, lighting and the seats. It looks like a Boeing 737NG look. Unfortunately the seats are so uncomfortable compare my A330 flight from the US so for that I did not like the seats very much. I'm sorry Thomas Cook but EasyJet, Ryanair and TUI can do better. Another problem their is no flight entertainment even when it was new to JMC Air it's just nothing. At least the website featured about it also no USB charging etc.


Finally after a bumpy landing & hard brakes I arrived in London Gatwick South Terminal. So what do I think of the flight? it was disappointing when we got delayed & sitting next to a screaming child kicking the chair when passengers in-front getting complaints, my experience on the seats is not good giving me back pains I really did not enjoy the flight at all. I've given the airline another chance so I don't think I'll go with Thomas Cook Airlines for a while.



My overall rating from Aircraft Aviation in Europe:


  • Cabin: 7/10
  • Hygienic: 9/10
  • Food N/A (No breakfast order)
  • Cabin Crew: 6/10
  • Service: 6/10

Overall: 6.8/10


You can also checkout my Full Flight video on the page or click me to see it on YouTube. 


No comments:

Post a Comment