Sunday 21 August 2016

Bournemouth Air Festival 2016 20th August (Red Arrows)


It was 20th August 2016 in Bournemouth, UK with Bournemouth Air Festival 2016 I was on Day Three. Unfortunately on that day due rough weather conditions, some planes & helicopters to preform was cancelled so for now I will show you Red Arrows only. I will feature only some my favourite photos. Some looks the same from my past events.


This blog is going to be special because the reason why I arrived in Bournemouth to to mark the memory of a very brave Red Arrow pilot who lost is life by the name of Flt Lt John Egging who crashed at a Throop Hill one mile from Bournemouth Airport after 2011 Bournemouth Air Festival. But before we go into all that, let's take a look some of my photos. Some are photos are going to be similar when I went to America's Cup in Portsmouth, UK some stunts in Bournemouth is short due to weather conditions.


As the Red Arrows started,they come from behind when Bournemouth Air Festival TV started the countdown when the Red Arrows are flying from behind then straight towards the English Channel. They flew towards where I located on top of the hill instead at the beach they normally flew by the Bournemouth Pier instead where I am.


SCATTER! This is my favourite stunt! The only missing stunt is the love heart but because of poor weather conditions, the love heart must not be featured. I'm not it did in other days.


This part is where it makes my upset & had a tear drop. This final flying display marks the memory of Flt Lt John Egging when 5 years has passed of his death. After this last performance, it returned back to Bournemouth Airport ready for the display the following day. I did saw the pilots hours before the display. The time for the Red Arrows to fly was meant to be 3:45pm but as I mention due to rough weather, the Air Festival was put on hold until the wind calms down. It was delayed for 2 hours because it was going to fly before 5pm when the wind strikes back until 6pm the wind calmed down & the Red Arrows started flying. Lucky after that the wind kicked in again & started to rain hard. This is my second wettest & windy conditions for an aviation photographer lucky it's summer.


Lets talk about why did the 20th August 2011 crashed. The investigators said the pilot was incapacitated effecting the G-LOC until it was shortly before impact to Bournemouth Airport. Very short answer yes for an 20 year old (?) Hawk T1A there is not a lot to say about the crash. It was upsetting the Red Arrows means very important for Great Britain similar when Concorde was in operation & flew in Buckingham Palace. You might be thinking why is there a fence blocking the memorial? this is because in April this year the East Cliff collapsed right by the memorial sight.it should re-open by the end of this Summer. It's complicated if the cliff is safe or not due to rough weather conditions.


Of course you got to have a memorial sight so they got it with 3 Red Arrow models. After the investigation Bournemouth Borough Council funded this sight to mark for his honour. This idea was based by pupils from Kinson Primary Primary School local in Bournemouth & it was put on display in 29th August 2012. When I visit Bournemouth again, I will take a good photo of the memorial sight if the East Cliff is safe & re-open to the public. 

For more photos of Bournemouth Air Festival, don't forget to checkout my Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment